Our schedule of meeting monthly is now well established as is our new office base in the Bailgate. Our thanks to Karolina and her Architectural Practice partner for offering us space in their fantastic base and with all the great facilities.
David, Maddie and Vernon discussed their work over a home-brewed coffee. They reviewed:
- Some of the equipment at the office e.g. The IMac and printer, which would be available for them to store their work and for any post-production.
- Where we were with recent homework and journals etc. David suggested sharing some copy of Vernon’s work on the York exhibition and the Peter Williams painting with Maddie and Megan.
- We discussed in brief how to reflect/think about our own work – ways of ‘being’ with a photograph or work of art and, in particular, what we bring to an understanding of the inherent meaning.
- We discussed what it is like to work on something and then ‘to put it into the world’ where other people may inter-act with it in many different ways than we may have intended.
- We covered the essential difference between ‘easy’ art e.g Musak in a lift, Chocolate box art, versus art that is different, poetic, making us see something in a new way. [We would visit some galleries today which would illustrate this point].
- We asked ourselves the question – ‘Who is our audience?’ Probably the answer lies in – ‘other people who are similar to us.’ The kind of people who attended the recent lecture on ‘Why I take Photographs’, or Adam and other artists. In some ways we make our own audience, as we may do when we create a PhotoBook to be exhibited to the public.
- David indicated that he wanted us to use the time between our monthly meetings to continue various photographic activities – Continue to invest time in constructing ‘transects’ and learning the process in depth; Each month to submit say 10 photos from a transect undertaken; To consider a transect as a Chapter of work; To accompany any images taken with some text, or words, or poetry, or writing which helps bring out any feelings one might have about the subject matter; To expect that any narrative may be read by others. To continue writing up our Journal.
- We touched on Post production techniques and usage of the camera from a skills point of view. We will be pursuing some of this in the future.
- We started to explore ideas around Photo ‘elicitation’ and the degree to which consciousness plays a part in the work we may produce.
- We even mentioned Kant and Phillip Larkin’s Toad!!!!!!
Then we walked to a wonderful exhibition of Photographs by Jane Wright called ‘Beautiful Light’ held at the Harding House Gallery Steep Hill Lincoln. Indeed the way Jane Wright uses light is just incredible and I will be revisiting the exhibition soon.[See below]
We also visited an exhibition of paintings and photographs nearby which was also first class.
A great time together and plenty to think about over the next month. And, indeed some photographs to take! Mine in Canada with a little bit of luck!!!!!!