The Collection at Lincoln was the location for today’s meeting together with Megan, Vernon Maddie and David. We discussed in detail:
- A guide for the setting up of an ‘A’ level course. David issued and outlined what the guide entailed. We were asked to reflect on what we might want from such a course and to come back with ideas.
- The possibility of setting up a Workshop run by Sarah Amsler and David was discussed. Everyone was keen for this to happen.
- David confirmed that our place/our ‘patch’ for exploration would be from the Tower to the Collection.
- Further ideas about the Framework project were discussed including: Maddie – What makes us English/British? Issues around peer pressure [e.g. Body Shop] encouraging us to “fit in”. Issues around Identity. Uses of urban space, managing ourselves in an urban environment. The nature of the city. Where is Home? Can somewhere “foreign” be more like home? Where are one’s roots or sense of community? Megan – Dealing with prejudice e.g. from the police and the undermining of the homeless. The need to challenge pre-conceptions. Portraits of people. How people make assumptions without knowledge. Vernon – Keen to do the A level. Would like to do something around immigration. Possibility of the Polish shops on Monk’s Road. David – His ideas are grounded in Evolution theory and he is interested in “socially engaged practices and practictioners”.
- Karolina [ David’s partner] is interested to work with us where our ideas coincide with the work she is doing.
- The possibility of making a bid for funds managed by Paul [ Neighbourhood Office] was discussed. Identifying A pop-up research centre……..?
We then looked around the Collection. We should be keen to have a presence in this space since it can provide us with ideas, scope for exhibiting. We met Josh in the gallery and looked at the exhibitions on offer. At the Usher Gallery we met Andrea who is Curator-in-chief, visited the exhibitions and the Education room. David discussed the Summer school at B/G which may be open for the Framework group to join.
Next week we meet at the Vintage Shop along Monk’s Road. Homework to read through the sheet on the nature of the city and attempt the questions.