Framework Project: Our Place, Our Priorities – 5th April, 2013 [Week 6/7]

Our destination this week, the Vintage shop on Monk’s Road,  was also the location for a Hollywood movie company [ i.e. the local Youth project!! ] filming an epic Vampire sequence. We did not try to compete with their enthusiasm but decamped to the Cafe at the Aboretum, which was much quieter and no potential for blood-letting.

David introduced Karolina to Megan, Vernon  and Kierah and our dialogue together ranged far & wide:

  • Changes to roles at Framework led us into discussing continuity, trust, bonds, expectation, relationship, emotions, stability and how to handle change.
  • David gave out sketchbook/journals with the expectation that each of us would use these to record our ideas and notes.
  • We discussed the involvement of Sarah Amsler in the project. David explained she would like to explore the various ideas which are currently emerging from each of us and to give these a context.
  • We discussed the taking of photographs of objects & places which we have been pursuing over a couple of weeks – The idea of moving from the general to the particular and the importance to an individual of something seemingly incidental. Through illustrations from David’s work [ his “altar” to childhood ] we explored negative and positive emotions, association, family, childhood, relationships, the natural stresses of growing up.
A photograph of my mother.....Vernon

A photograph of my mother…..Vernon

  • Any accompanying “narrative” about the photograph is as important as the image itself. So – how one “reads” a photograph is crucial. As important is the moment of taking the photograph and the criteria involved at that time.
  • The group were asked to consider the making of a modest Notice board to be located somewhere in the Abbey ward to show the work[photographs] we produce. Perhaps a small grant from Paul could make this possible?

Karolina was thanked for her contribution & support.

Next time we will meet at the “StoneBow” in town: Friday 12th April at 10 am and Sarah will be with us to explore some of our ideas.

Homework:

  1. To transfer our initial ideas about our personal aims [ie the big sheet] into the Journal/Sketchbooks and add to these if we so wish.
  2. To bring our photographs on objects and locations on a stick for transfer to David’s laptop.
  3. To provide a short “narrative” explanation for each of the photographs on objects/locations in our Journal.

PS: Framework are happy to provide a dedicated laptop/notebook for the project – David to advise on price. For any other Framework colleagues wanting to join the group decisions need to be taken soon – Megan to advise on potential members.

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 thoughts on “Framework Project: Our Place, Our Priorities – 5th April, 2013 [Week 6/7]

  1. The History of Lincoln Waites

    Lincoln Stonebow & Guildhall

    The Stonebow and Guildhall (The bow spans High Street). The Stonebow is the south gate of the City, dating from the late 15th Century to early 16th Century. It was built on the site of the Roman South Gate, which remained a medieval gateway for many years, until it was demolished in the late 14th Century for being unsafe. In 1390, Richard II ordered a new gateway to be built to replace the demolished arch. However, the Council and Citizens of Lincoln were slow to act on their King’s wishes. Building materials were purchased on a number of occasions, but all disappeared. The new arch was finally completed by William Spencer, a city freemason, over 100 years later, in 1520.

    The near part of the East Wing of the Stonebow is mainly 15th century. In 1810 the Council resolved to pull down the Guildhall and build a new, improved hall to meet in (ref: L1/1/1/8, 18 August 1810). Although this notion was soon overturned, the prison wing (on Saltergate) was pulled down in 1842 and rebuilt – to almost match the rest of the Guildhall. The City Council still use the Guildhall today, despite 19th century claims that the building was unsuitable.

    In 1829, the Lincoln Gas Light and Coke Company held at least one board meeting in the Guildhall. This was just before they were granted grounds on Newland (at a cost of £105), facing the Brayford Pool, on which to erect their works (ref: L1/1/1/8, 16 June 1829).

    The East Wing once contained the City prison and a kitchen, but in 1586 the City bought the house next door and used it as a prison for many years. It can be seen in nineteenth century paintings and prints by Augustus Pugin and others in the Guildhall and Central Library. There were two rooms at ground level, one 13 feet square for men and one 8 feet square for women. Each room had a small iron grated window 2 feet square, at pavement level, facing the narrow Prison Lane (now Saltergate – the street of the Dry Salters). Friends and family of prisoners could see them and talk to them through these gratings and might have passed in food and drink. The gaol was abandoned in 1809 as a new prison had been built at the Session House adjacent to the New Road (Lindum Hill) in 1805. The old gaolhouse was pulled down in 1842 and the whole wing was rebuilt in similar stone to the rest of the Bow.

  2. The Stonebow
    High Street, Lincoln, Lincolnshire LN2 1AY – England, UK

    The Stonebow stands at the top of the High Street, where the Roman gateway to the south of the city once stood. In its present form, the Stonebow was built in the early 1500s and is a great display of Tudor craftsmanship. The bell in the roof of the building has been dated to the 1371, and is rung only for the traditional occasion of calling Lincoln’s Councillors to their meetings that take place in the chambers above the archway.

Leave a Reply